|> Safe & Drug Free >> Guns / Violence / Conflict|
|Recommended - Video Librarian
One of the most frightening trends over the last several years has been the rise of gun-related violence at school. A number of reasons have been cited for the emergence of this disturbing phenomenon. Some of these include the widespread availability of guns, escalating levels of violence in video games and media, and rising levels of teen alienation and rage, which could result in bringing a gun to school to create a feeling of compensatory empowerment. This program discusses these causes of violence in schools, plus gun control and ultimately asks the question what can we do to make students safe at school?
Designed to encourage soul-searching and dialogue about the terrifying phenomenon of gun violence in schools, this documentary features teacher, counselor and student interviewees who offer opinions and insights about the epidemic. Their thoughts include:
- How safe they feel at school?
- How easy is it for a student to bring a gun into school?
- How do they feel about guns at school?
- What to do if they know someone is planning on carrying a weapon into school?
- Are they influenced by media or gaming violence?
- Should teachers be armed?
Through honest, open discussion can come cathartic relief and, hopefully, greater safety.
|Copyright 2013, FI Release 2018|
|Duplication, Digital and ITV rights available|